Monday, May 2, 2011

CVS: Free Toothpaste + Notes on Common Courtesy!!

I know this is a frugal living blog, but I wanted to make some personal comments on common courtesy. If this isn't a subject you're interested in, feel free to skip to the bottom of this post for the toothpaste deal. Otherwise, stay with me for a minute.

Sunday, while I was in CVS grabbing some free toothpaste, I got stuck in line behind a woman with rainchecks and coupons and a little boy with a gallon of milk. The woman at the register was taking some time, some of her coupons were expired, etc. And while we were standing there, another woman approached with a package of candy in her hand, looking for another cashier. I watched her with curiosity as she walked toward the back of the store -- assuming she had gone to check out in pharmacy. I could tell she was in a hurry, so when she came back a few moments later and stood beside me, eyeing the cashier with impatience, I kindly looked over at her and suggested that she should go before me. I only had 2 tubes of toothpaste and I wasn't in a hurry. I told her it was obvious to me that she had somewhere to be. She smiled, said she was late for work, and thanked me before stepping in front of me in line. To her back, I politely said "You're welcome. Just pay it forward."

The woman never looked back at me, but I did have a sinking feeling in my stomach that something was about to go very wrong. I'd watched her stand to the side of me before I'd offered her to go first and felt uneasy at her stance. And now, I was watching her inch herself closer to the register, to the side of the young boy struggling with his gallon of milk.

My heart was sinking as I watched the boy shift the heavy milk from one hand to the next, hoisting it up, shifting his weight, still clutching the dollar bills in his fist. He looked to be around 7 or 8, skinny arms and dark eyes, much like my son when he was that age. And he stood there quietly and patiently as the woman with rainchecks finished her transaction.

So you can imagine my frustration, disbelief, anger, and sadness at what happened next. As the woman with rainchecks completed her purchase and left, the young boy took a step forward, but the woman I'd let cut in front of me, quickly handed her candy over the register to the cashier, completely dismissing him or his right to go next.

And I lost it, folks. It's rare that this happens. My mother always loved a good tangle, but I usually tend to avoid confrontations whenever possible. Still, I couldn't let this one pass. And I got irate. I won't get into all the things I said -- all at the woman's back, of course, since she never turned around to face me. But suffice to say I got loud enough to encourage another cashier to quickly man his station and offer the little boy a prompt checkout. The woman never turned to face me, or answer my direct comments to her, but she did say she was sorry to the cashier and rushed out of the store. This left me shaking and near to tears, and embarrassed that I'd gotten so vocal, but I was proud of myself for standing up too. And I wish more people would do the same. It just seems common courtesy isn't so common anymore. *sigh*

Anyway... here's what I got....

2 Colgate MaxClean, Maxfresh Toothpastes 6 oz @ $2.77 each
- $5.54 ECB received ($2.77 for each, limit 2)
Final Cost: 2 FREE!
**Some also received a regional $1/1 coupon found in the 4/17 SS or $0.75/1 coupon from the 5/1 SS or the $1/1 coupon found in the May issue of the All You mag. Using any of these coupons, if you have them, will result in a moneymaker. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of these coupons.

View the rest of this week's CVS deals HERE.
(Thanks, Hip2Save!)

No comments:

Post a Comment