Thursday, December 30, 2010

"Extreme Couponing" on TLC

So here are my thoughts on the new special "Extreme Couponing" which aired on TLC last night. To be honest, I was nervous about watching it. Maybe it's just my paranoid personality, but I was sure it was going to be a disaster. Either the show would be awesome and educational, in which case I'd be stuck in line behind 20 new couponers tomorrow at Walgreens. Or the show would be negative and unfair, and paint couponers in a bad light.

Overall, I think the special was more balanced than I expected it to be, though it was still extreme and unrealistic and grossly uneducational. They at least showed a variety of shoppers. Some were more "extreme" than others.


#1 was clearly on the wrong show -- they should've cast her for Hoarders instead. Her stockpile was overwhelmingly large, particularly since it was only designed to support 2 people. I think the fact that her purchases have continued to overflow beyond their stockroom signals that something is wrong. I felt bad for her when she started crying and having a near break-down in the store. She needs help, honestly. I also felt sorry for her husband -- give his man cave back!! LOL


#2
Krazy Coupon Lady was most like me, though still a little on the extreme side that day. I'm pretty sure with her stockpile, she doesn't shop like that every week, though. And speaking of her stockpile, I'm so jealous! Would I dumpster dive for coupons? Absolutely! Do I tell my children they can't have something they want in the store because I don't have a coupon for it? Yes! But I do occasionally let them have something special... and when I find a coupon for something I know they love, I SUPER STOCK UP!! I profile my cashiers too! There's nothing worse than being stuck in a store with a cart full of groceries and NO decent cashiers to choose from! LOL Do I wait until someone new comes on shift?? :P

#3 The Coupon Diva was funny and down to earth. She was the shopper most should aspire to be. She gets what she needs and still saves a TON of money. I loved that she was putting other shoppers straight in the store! LOL I've wanted to do that -- it's sad to see people pay full price!! And she was so happy at check-out -- so cute!


#4 was clearly just going for the "WOW" factor, as evidenced by his picking up toothbrushes by the arm-full without even counting them. Unheard of! He knew what he was doing and he wasn't crazy. But nobody shops like that (not even him, I'm sure). That was just for the show. I wish they had mentioned that he donated it all. And I wish they had included the cost spent with the clipping service in all the shopping totals -- that was seriously misleading!


I'll be honest -- I hope they don't do another show about couponing. The blogs and forums are great because they show people who are "actively looking" to save money how to use coupons. But to teach it on a MASS scale to such a broad audience makes me nervous. And I personally don't trust people making "TV" shows for "ENTERTAINMENT" purposes with educating the masses. They were showing "extreme" cases, "shelf-clearing", and other ways of couponing which I don't agree with. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but for now, I'm breathing a sigh of relief that it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment